• Pet Sit? Vacation? Or Both?

I'm at the halfway point of my pet sit. Thanks to the dry climate and daily hikes with Rena and Teddy, I've gained a confident new stride. My knees and right foot rarely hurt.

"Enjoy your rest," friends have said. Or "Have a good vacation!" At first it seemed I wasn't resting or seeing much of Santa Fe, what with morning hikes with the dogs, a prolonged campaign to find Internet, afternoon walks, an occasional visit to the horses, and adjusting to the dogs' schedule and needs.

But Santa Fe is gradually soaking into my bones.

Every morning the dogs and I drive what Siri calls, "the old PEE-kss trail," and along a road that follows the original Santa Fe Trail. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains lie on our left. We crest over a hill, the sunny, grassy landscape of the Galisteo Basin before us, the snow-capped Jemez Mountains in the distance. When I open the car door the dogs go nuts, running and tussling. The air is crisp and dry, the sky bright blue. One day snow poured down like confectioner's sugar.

Doodlets, on the Santa Fe Plaza
After our walk I sometimes stop by Café Fina for a Mexican Mocha and a bacon-date scone. When it's warmer the dogs and I sit on the patio.

I've walked Rena and Teddy on The Plaza and Canyon Road and visited dog-friendly stores. We drove to quirky Madrid, a small village of artists. In nearby Eldorado we bought dog treats and homemade quiche and New Mexican coffee for me. Belly rubs, nuzzles, and snuggling with the dogs fills the time at home. The house is typical Santa Fe: adobe, viga ceilings, saltillo tile floor. Every afternoon the three of us nap.

So I'm resting. I'm having a good vacation. And I'm sharing this special time with two of the nicest hairy companions a girl could want.


No comments:

Post a Comment