• Rain, Rain, Come to Stay

Before she left, the dogs' mom was excited over a few drops of rain on the windshield. She would have loved yesterday. The most rain in nearly a month fell in Santa Fe. Being from Virginia, I don't fear drought the way people in this part of the country do. The rain was preceded by what I call a Holy shit sunrise. Sorry about the profanity, but that's what I said. I guess this is another blog not suited for children. :)

Yesterday was my first time taking Teddy and Rena on their morning walk by myself. I was nervous, without reason. The dogs are incredibly easy. Put them in the back of the SUV, let them out in a park to run free, call them back in. I threw a couple of checklists in the equation: things to do before I left, things to take. After all, was early. Really early.
The dogs' owner told me the name of the mountains, but I forgot.

I'm more comfortable setting my own pace and being alone. With my cane, I walked farther than the day before. Teddy and Rena bound in and out (mostly out) of sight, sniffing the bushes for p-mail and rabbits. As a test, I call them. They come, which means treats. Rena trotted off and Teddy hung around. How about another treat for me? I even followed Rena up a side trail. Their owner walks them for an hour every morning; I managed 45 minutes. Pretty good, for me.

Rena in the front courtyard
The rain held off till we got back to the house and then it let loose. All day. I did laundry, puttered around the kitchen. The dogs snoozed. Their dinner was freshly cooked hamburger mixed by hand with kibble. Last night they ate it all; tonight they didn't, which was nothing to worry about. I was more worried about Teddy. He seemed miffed, distant. Even when we climbed into bed, he on his fuzzy soft blanket and I under the covers, he turned his head. It wasn't till the next morning that I realized I forgot to remove their collars, a bedtime ritual. Ay yi yi.

Tomorrow I'll do better, guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment