• A Gem of a Day

Today on our morning walk we started out with fog and a cry of pain from Rena, who was out of sight at the time. But when she emerged from the trees, she was her usual self. I called her and she took a treat. She didn't limp or favor a leg. She ran at a fast clip. In the car she let me run my hands over her body but when I got to her legs the mini-exam was over. She hates having her feet or legs touched.

Driving home, I mentally practiced muzzling a dog, as I learned in pet first aid, in case I needed to take a closer look. But Rena didn't scratch, bite, or lick herself, as she might from a bite or a thorn. An hour later, after I showered, I checked Rena one more time: breathing OK, heart rate seems OK, eyes bright, no marks (that I could see) on her body. With someone trepidation, I decided to go ahead with my plans. "I'll be right back," I said cheerfully. Oh, I was a lying, lying pet sitter. But that's what their mom says, so I didn't feel too guilty.

I was bound for the Albuquerque Gem and Mineral Club Spring Show. Cruising at 75 means Santa Fe to Albuquerque takes an hour. Yowzah.

I was so gaga that I forgot to take pictures! Fossils, stones to be made into jewelry (cabochons), fine gems, rings, necklaces, bracelets, beading materials, and crystals, crystals growing out of other crystals, and crystals I'd never heard of. I bought the kyanite in quartz from Brazil. It's supposed to contribute to a peaceful home.

I tried on a necklace that wasn't my style, a long, heavy strand of pearls and other stones. I put it back. And then the weirdest thing happened. The back of my neck felt cold. Spooky . . . . did it mean something? I recently took classes on crystals. My teacher and other students got physical feelings from stones: heat, cold, reverberations. I did not. Until now. I bought the necklace.

Rena and Teddy jumped up and down for joy when I got home. You would have thought I'd been gone four weeks, not four hours. Bright-eyed Rena had her usual enthusiasm on our afternoon walk. She and Teddy gobbled a dinner of kibble, frozen beef medallions, and a dash of grated cheese. Now we're in the living room, listening to the wind. I'm watching CNN, which is focused on the mystery of the missing Malaysian plane. Teddy is sacked out of the couch. With teeth and tongue, Rena is performing a slurpy pedicure, which is usual for her. Thank God, she seems to fine.

I took the necklace off three hours ago to take its picture. Three hours . . . and the back of my neck still feels cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment